Friday, March 22, 2013

Tim Holtz - Tattered Floral Challenge: My "Deluded Flowers"

Hey Friends! For the past month, Tim Holtz has been hosting a challenge  - and providing LOTS of inspiration as well. The challenge was to take his Sizzix Tattered Floral Die and to come up with a project that uses the flowers you create with it! Sounded like FUN to me!

 I cut several sets of the flowers out of watercolor paper and stamped them with some Archival Ink. I knew I was going to be using wet medium to stain and distress them...and the best combo for that is watercolor paper and permanent ink.

One of the things I discovered, is that stamping with Distress Paint will allowed me to use that image as a resist - so when I sprayed my flowers with Dylusions Spray... my white stamped pattern showed up! Super Cool Right?!?!? I have taped a tutorial and will edit this post to include it as quickly as I can! The flowers were so bright and "springy" - that I decided I just HAD to do a project that would   let me bring a little Spring into my house...since it was SNOWING this morning!

I had this little birdhouse and it seemed like the perfect base for my happy "deluded flowers" as I am calling them!

I began by adding some Tim Holtz Tissue Paper (Symphony) to the wooden birdhouse. I used Matte Gel Medium to collage the tissue paper onto the house. Then I used Distress Paint in a couple of colors to cover the the paper...and here is the COOLEST thing...when you spray water on Distress reacts like all the other products in the Ranger Distress Collection! While Distress Paint is still wet - it will react with the water, blend and even becomes somewhat marbled. Love it! You will have a blast working with it on some of your projects.

I also added some Clear Rock Candy Crackle paint over it - to age the background while still keeping it bright for the springy flowers that I was getting ready to add. And you know didn't stop there! LOL While the Crackle Paint was still damp - I sprinkled a dusting of Dry Rock Candy Glitter over it. Hey, you know I like a little sparkle!

I  sprayed some moss with both Dylusions spray and Adirondack Color Wash (lettuce). That gave me a base to build the little flower garden around the base of the bird house. You can also see the Elegant Flourishes that I die cut from Grunge Paper and painted with Distress Paint.  I am seriously in LOVE with these new paints...they are very fluid and dry with a chalky finish. They remind me of the look of paint that you will find in older houses...super cool and so much you can do with them.

Here are some close-ups...I stacked the flowers and used some bright brads to hold them together. I also painted a few scraps of watercolor paper with distress stains and paints...and then punched out some small flowers to mix into the garden. Liquid Pearls acted as my flower centers.

 I added this sweet little bird...she seems to be especially happy to be building her nest with all these beautiful festive flowers all around. She is going to have the "best dressed nest" of all her girlfriends this spring!

I had been wanting to play with my new Dylusions Sprays and Distress Paints.  My oh my! I had inky fingers and a BLAST!

Here is a tutorial of how I created these fun flowers. I know you will enjoy using this resist technique on some of your projects too! You can watch it here or on YouTube.

Thanks for the challenge, Tim! It was a blast!

Happy Spring - my dear friends!

Products Used On This Project