I am SO NOT scared of small canvases

So they are a GREAT place to spend a little Creative Play time. These first two tiny canvases ended up being small thank you gifts for two sweet friends.  I found several of these small canvases (they are approximately 2.5 - 3.5 inches) back in the art department at JoAnn's - I think they were no more than $1.  They are wood framed and are basically square or ATC (artist trading card) sized. Small...and totally un-intimidating.

I used Distress Stain (yeah - I can't seem to stop playing with that stuff) on the blue one and on the autumnal version, I used acrylic paint and acrylic washes.  The dandelions were stamped and then I used Sakura gel pens to add some dimension to the canvas.  I stamped the pumpkins with Memento Tuxedo Black ink and then colored them with Copics  - but you could use colored pencils or Bic pens - hey - you might even try crayons...remember we're just playing so anything goes! I cut the pumpkins out and popped them up on dimensionals. Even when working on something small like these canvases - remember to use the same design principles you would incorporate on a scrapbook page, a card or larger canvas.  Even though there is plenty of room to center the pumpkins on the canvas - I felt that letting them hang off the right edge created a lot more visual interest.  What do you think?

I had no idea where I was going when I started out - but these two little canvasses with splattered paint began to take on a life of their own. Once I had added the butterflies and the dandelion stamp I just knew that it needed to be a little "thank you" for a sweet friend of mine.   I so liked the pumpkin version (the stamp is by CC Designs) that I think I will do a season series so I can change them out with the seasons.  Stay tuned for those - I will share them when I get them done. I added a loop of thin satin ribbon so they can be hung or placed on a small easel.

The thing is - a big canvas somehow makes me think I have to do something SIGNIFICANT with it - but now that I have had some fun playing on smaller versions, I don't think I will be as intimidated when I get around to doing something with a larger version.  So the Creative Play Principle is: Start small and gain confidence.

Now I want to give you a sneak peek at my other small canvas.



This one was OUTRAGEOUSLY fun to create....and I am going to do a video to show you what all I did to create all the texture on the basic canvas.  I actually taped the process of making this one - kind of like I did on the painting faces video...but didn't get it edited before my computer died...and I am afraid all of that is lost...so I will be recreating it with another canvas to share with you.  Again - I just stayed in "creative play mode" and when I stopped playing - I liked the end result enough to add a few embellishments to make it into a piece of art that I now have sitting on my desk in my studio reminding me to "Be Courageous!"

 Friends, I do apologize for the delay in our Creative Play Series. I am working on an alternative method to shoot and edit videos until I get my computer back.  Don't you hate having to deal with the "downside" of technology!?!?!  I mean - I love all that computers allow us to do, but when they stop working it puts a real kink into my productivity!  Grrrr!

 I hope you all are having a great week...and that you are finding time for some Creative Play!  See you soon!


Comments

  1. My goodness, my goodness. These are Fantas.....er, I mean Fantabulous!! I love your pumpkins :-). They are adorable.

    Your dandelion and butterflies canvas is whimsical and fun. Your recipient will be thrilled with your Thank You gift.

    Your third canvas is stunning. To see, daily, what your creative play has created will definitely give you the courage to step up to your next challenge.

    Sorry to hear about your computer woes :-(. Hope that gets righted soon. Expensive, I know, but they have become almost another appendage - or so it seems :-)

    Love you - Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jann I can totally empathise with you and your computer woes; it is quite scary how much we have come to depend upon them. I was without an internet connection for 6 days and was lost :) It did mean that I spent much more time playing creatively though and all my playing is now on my blog.

    I have been trying to leave a comment for ages now but Blogger won't let me!

    Adore your fantabulous cavasses, they are gorgeous. Are these flat canvasses or on frames?

    Hugs
    Lynn xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to stop by for a visit and commenting! Your input means a lot to me. Have a great day! ~Jann

Popular posts from this blog

Free YouTube Easter Junk Journal Series

"What? You Are Drawing and Painting In Your Bible?!?!?!"