Sunday, July 29, 2012

Take a little "happy" with you...

I had a great phone call from a friend recently...she was calling to tell me she was pleasantly surprised when she went to her mailbox and found something other than a bill or store circular waiting for her...a little card from me.  My "take away" from that was to realize that in this ELECTRONIC-centric world that we live in....cards and handwritten notes take on new significance.  People rarely get cards "just because" - and when they do it has a high impact.

I was headed out to a family get together today...and in addition to the pan of baked beans (remind me to share my recipe with you sometime...it is super simple and always a big hit) I made a quick card.


I tend to be a bit "punny" so the sentiment inside says "Thanks for inviting me to hang out with your flock!" Flamingos are a favorite of the hostess so that was really the inspiration for my card...I cut them out on my Silhouette.  Here are a couple of details...



I used a recent $5 stamp set and die cut from Papertrey Ink...called Heart-2-Heart #6.  It is super cute - and I think it has lots of options. I die cut three of the large clouds and didn't stamp on them - just stacked them up and did some quick stitching down the center. To keep my clouds fluffy I put part of a pop-dot in between the layers close to the stitching. Simple - but CUTE!


I also can't really be bothered with the "fiddly" bits of die cuts...so you will see that I just drew the eyes on and used a sharpie to put the black on the bills of the flamingoes.  The sun is part of the Heart-2-Heart set...I die cut the sun shape out of white  and stamped the sun with the smiley face onto the die cut....then I used a Martha Stewart "seal" punch with some yellow card stock to create a smaller sun and stamped the sun stamp again and popped it up for a little dimension.



 I made the grass from a scrap of green card stock sitting on my desk and the Martha Stewart fringe scissors.  I always feel a bit like Edward Scissorhand (yes, I am that old) when I use them...but they make grass FAST!

So - want to encourage you to "take a little happy" with you when you go to dinner with a friend...or send a surprise through the mail.  Your friend will feel extra special...and you will have a little fun in the creating!

Hope you all have a fantabulous week!  If you missed it - I have a new tutorial on YouTube...you can check it out HERE!


4 comments:

  1. super cute! I agree, truly a lost art.
    ~Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the card, it's adorable!
    Sybil

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super fun card Jann:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a broken record but I love this! It's one of my favorite things you've ever made!!! I've been jonesin' for some of those fringe scissors. Must.get.some.soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to stop by for a visit and commenting! Your input means a lot to me. Have a great day! ~Jann